
It's my first Daring Baker's challenge. When I printed out all eight pages of this recipe, I was impressed by the sheer scope of the challenge. None of the individual components looked difficult but the project management (combined with the TWD sticky buns) aspects would take juggling.
I ruminated on possible flavor combinations for several weeks. With one week left to go, I took a hint from the grocery store and picked up a pound of strawberries. Strawberry and orange are one of my favorite flavor combinations. My sister, who bakes at a cupcake bakery in Charlotte, swears that fresh strawberry buttercream is one of her all time favorite frosting.
My layers included:
Joconde -- as written in the recipe
Syrup -- with orange oil
Buttercream-- fresh pureed strawberries mixed in at the final step
Mousse-- white chocolate with orange zest and Cointreau
Ganache--white chocolate, powdered sugar, melted butter, cream and pureed strawberry
I found my buttercream to be very stiff after its stay in the fridge, but it softened up nicely when I spread it across the joconde with my fingertips. I was worried that the yield might be a little low, do feel that more buttercream might have made a better cake, but overall it worked well.
Saturday night: Had one of A.'s colleagues over for dinner. I cut my opera cake a delivered tall, multi layered confections, which were enjoyed by all. So much so, that A. offered to send a large portion of my remaining cake (which did serve 20) home with our guest. I muttered under my breath; I was planning to serve the second half of this cake at a potluck Sunday night. Fortunately it's quite rich, right?
Sunday night: My 10 very small, almost petit four like squares were dusted with pink sprinkles. Frustrated when the less-than-tasty Whole Foods fruit tart was more popular on the dessert table, I felt no shame in sneaking the last two slices for myself!


I ruminated on possible flavor combinations for several weeks. With one week left to go, I took a hint from the grocery store and picked up a pound of strawberries. Strawberry and orange are one of my favorite flavor combinations. My sister, who bakes at a cupcake bakery in Charlotte, swears that fresh strawberry buttercream is one of her all time favorite frosting.
My layers included:
Joconde -- as written in the recipe
Syrup -- with orange oil
Buttercream-- fresh pureed strawberries mixed in at the final step
Mousse-- white chocolate with orange zest and Cointreau
Ganache--white chocolate, powdered sugar, melted butter, cream and pureed strawberry
I found my buttercream to be very stiff after its stay in the fridge, but it softened up nicely when I spread it across the joconde with my fingertips. I was worried that the yield might be a little low, do feel that more buttercream might have made a better cake, but overall it worked well.
Saturday night: Had one of A.'s colleagues over for dinner. I cut my opera cake a delivered tall, multi layered confections, which were enjoyed by all. So much so, that A. offered to send a large portion of my remaining cake (which did serve 20) home with our guest. I muttered under my breath; I was planning to serve the second half of this cake at a potluck Sunday night. Fortunately it's quite rich, right?
Sunday night: My 10 very small, almost petit four like squares were dusted with pink sprinkles. Frustrated when the less-than-tasty Whole Foods fruit tart was more popular on the dessert table, I felt no shame in sneaking the last two slices for myself!

15 comments:
Can't wait to see the pics
Ulrike from Küchenlatein
Don't you just HATE that when an icky dessert is more popular than your own divine creation? I'm so happy you snagged a little extra for yourself.
Boo to storebought things! All the more reason to keep it all to yourself, right?
Welcome to the group! Can't wait to see your pics!
Strawberry and orange sounds like a fantastic flavor! And even though I thought this cake was super rich, I think I'd prefer it to a fruit tart. blecch.
Jamie told me it was heavenly!! We missed you last night.
How much strawberry did you put in the buttercream? That sounds fabulous, and I'm curious to try it out myself!
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com
I like the hint from the grocery! ;))
Welcome to the gang.
Looking forward to the pics. Orange and pureed strawberries sound delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog
I'm so glad you were able to finished your cake. I can't wait to see your finished creation.
Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go
looking forward to pics
congrats for completing you first challenge!
marye.
bakingdelights.com
Congratulations on your first challenge, and welcome to the madness. You had quite the initiation challenge, and it sounds like you tackled it beautifully. T'heck with the folks who gravitated to the grocery store tart...
Congratulations on your first DB challenge! Strawberries, orange, and white chocolate–YUM.
Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com
The pink sprinkles appeals to the girly girl in me (that lives in a house full of boys).
I hope you get a chance to post your photos soon.
Post a Comment