Thursday, May 29, 2008

The things I learn at the gym...

I spent a good hour on the elliptical machine today. I know, I was WAY over the 45 minute time limit, and yes, I DO know the rules. But the fitness floor was fairly empty and besides I had some serious reading to do.

The membership at our Y is pretty diverse, and as the magazine rack is comprised entirely of member cast-offs, the reading selection reflects the membership. While I pride myself on reading a variety of genres and periodicals, I must admit that my pop-culture literacy is entirely attributable to my Y membership.

This week, I learned:

1) how to refinish a banister from This Old House

2) which type of bikini might be most flattering for my body-type. This, however, requires my identifying my body type; I'm not ready to go there. (Glamour)

3) All about Ashlee Simpson and Fall Out Boy Pete's wedding. Side story: Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson are on the outs. (US)

4) There is this really cool double oven/convection oven range on the market now. I'm not in the market for one, unfortunately, but a girl can dream, right? (Home Renovation or something similar)

5) Northwestern University has a really good women's lacrosse team. (SI)

6) There is a really great recipe for Oat Struesel Rhubarb crumble bars in Better Homes and Gardens

There's a disconnect when a trip to the gym leads directly to home baking in the afternoon!

1 comment:

Prudy said...

Just came over from TWD. Your pecan buns look yummy! Thank goodness for the elliptical machine. I can't even think about bathing suits with all the good recipes we're baking up on TWD.