Wednesday, July 29, 2009

DB: Milano Cookies


The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

My grandfather died when I was in elementary school -- maybe second or third grade. After that, my grandmother moved to Pennsylvania to South Carolina and eventually remarried an old friend, Les.
I don't know whether it was Mimi or Les who chose the snacks that we were offered when we went to visit after school, but my mother was a strong woman to turn a blind eye to their 6pm offerings of Hilton Head Ice Cream (double chocolate or lemon custard, usually), chocolate eclairs, See's Candies that they ordered by mail, and yes, Milano cookies.

I haven't eaten Milanos much since then. The occasional reception, or airplane snack box I suppose, but I set out to replicate them on a really damp, rainy night. The cookies baked on a silpat came out somewhat sticky, those on standard cookie sheets had to be chipped off the sheet. I couldn't decide, which if either, I preferred. By this afternoon, however, some time in the cookie tin had mellowed the texture and they sure are tasty.


1 comment:

TeaLady said...

OH! Too bad you had so much trouble with yours. They look perfect.