Vacations require a bit of planning ahead. So when I started making this tart, I also began working on the ice cream recipe for a few weeks from now.
The plums, fabulous -- the brioche crust, not my favorite. I love brioche (If you've never made Dorie's snails or the Belgian bread Craquelin, consider adding it to the top of your "to bake" list.) I think I'd just prefer more of a pastry crust with this yummy filling. Or maybe I'd prefer that my husband look at the color of the crust, rather than the nut and sugar topping, when asked to "see if it's getting too brown."
Now the ice cream, that's good stuff. I often struggle with recipes for ice cream, as they are usually too eggy for my liking. I took some liberties with Dorie's recipe, swapping 1/2 & 1/2 for one of the cups of cream, and reducing the egg yolks from 6 to 3. I chose not to strain my custard as well, preferring the specks of vanilla bean. The result was delicious, but the attempts to photograph the last spoonful before it was eaten were not successful.

1 comment:
Tart looks delicious.
Post a Comment