Tuesday, September 15, 2009

TWD: Flaky Apple Turnovers

It's the best kind of Tuesday morning after school starts. You know, the kind when you find yourself in the dentist chair while the kids are at school. Let me tell you, I'd way rather be a fifth grader - gym, cursive writing, and all -- and definitely a kindergartner, than hanging out in the dentist chair. Once I've gotten past the reclining chair part, it's all downhill. So while Dr. B drills, and drills, and drills (three fillings, baby!), I'm thinking about these turnovers. Trader Joe's is down the street, and I should have time to stop.

So while I wait for the anesthetic to wear off, stomach growling, lip turned down, slightly achy jaw, and of course, occasional drool, I worked on this dough. Probably not enough, however, to make it actually turn into a dough. I took this picture after the dough had been coerced into a rectangle to rest for a few hours. It seems that some parts of the dough were feeling bullied by other parts of the dough, so they chose not to join the rectangle community. And now, as I sense no real remedy, they'll learn to be friends in the garbage.

Totally kills me to waste 3 sticks of butter like that.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Oh no! So sorry that this didn't work for you! I can't imagine what happened. Maybe next week will be better.

TeaLady said...

OH!! Sad times. It was the dentist's fault.

Jenn H in San Diego said...

How disappointing! I was worried about mine for the same reason - three sticks of butter is a lot to waste!

I had problems with my dough too -- I didn't mix it enough and had to try again. Once there, however, these are good. Give them another try once you've recovered!