Friday, November 20, 2009

Drunken Beans

I've been ordering beans from Rancho Gordo for about a year and a half. They're so much tastier than grocery store varieties, which are often old and lack the texture and flavor of the heirloom beans. Every few months, I hop over to the website and order a half dozen or bags of beans. Yesterday, I simmered a pound of Yellow Indian Woman, planning to make them into a bean cakes for dinner.

As the day got away from me, however, my dish became a bit more streamlined. I dumped a can of beer in the pot of beans after they were cooked and let them simmer away. I sauteed some mushrooms, onions, and garlic in bacon grease. I whipped up a bit of guacamole with lime juice, smoked paprika, and aleppo pepper.

Layered in bowls, the beans were delicious. Meaty, full of flavor and with the added smokiness from the bacon fat and paprika they were just the thing on a November evening.

No comments: