Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

I didn't make the turkey this year. If we had eaten at home, I don't know if I would have made the turkey. But for our feast with friends, I had a few things to contribute. We brought:
Pecan and Goat Cheese Marbles


Brussels Sprout Slaw



Oreo Turkeys (which didn't stay together this well)

Puff Pastry Pepperoni Pinwheels

and Creamed Onions from the Joy of Cooking. We didn't eat creamed onions at the holiday table when I was a kid, and we certainly didn't eat brussels sprouts. But after our decade in St. Louis, sharing Thanksgiving with my aunt and uncle, I wouldn't have it any other way. Kiki always made this recipe, which might be as native to St.L as toasted ravioli. My one shortcut in this recipe is to use frozen, peeled onions.

Creamed Onions adapted from The Joy of Cooking

Boil water in large saucepan. Add 1 lb frozen baby onions and cook until just tender. Drain and set aside
In second saucepan, melt 1 1/2 tbsp butter. When butter has melted, stir in 1 1/2 tbsp flour and cook until lightly brown. Stir in 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups milk ( I used skim) and 1 cup evaporated skim milk. Whisk over medium heat until sauce thickens.

Put onions in shallow casserole dish. Cover with sauce. Top with 1 cup shredded Swiss Cheese.
Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes -- until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.

Thanks to epicurious and thrifyfun for the photos!

1 comment:

zegliano said...

looks great!

did you ever get your cannolis done? i did not. ;(