Tuesday, April 8, 2008

TWD: Lemon Tart





For the first time this year, it feels like spring. I was ready to celebrate with the Lemon Tart.












I pulsed my crust. I patted it. I froze it.



I zested. I extracted the lemon oil from the zest. I juiced 5 lemons and removed the seeds.

I whisked, I whisked, I whisked. I needed 5 hands at one point to hold the bowl, whisk, thermometer, and camera. I strained. I blended, I blended, I blended.

When it was assembled, I had a very beautiful tart, with a room temp crust and a cold filling. The filling wasn't as sturdy as I had hoped. I topped it with a dollop of whipped cream. A took his plate and remarked, completely on target, "This smells really lemony and buttery." He was right. It is super-rich, super-buttery. So much so, that I would have enjoyed the tart better had I not known about the vast quantities of butter that went into it. (I'm hoping that other TWD bakers might have played with the amount of butter :)


After making three Baking... recipes this week, I am growing ever more appreciative of Dorie's comments about the visual or auditory response of the food over the course of preparation. They really add a lot to the process of baking.

17 comments:

LyB said...

I know what you mean about needing more hands! Your tart looks delicious, and I agree that baking with Dorie is very enjoyable!

Marie Rayner said...

Your tart looks delicious! I did the orange version and that turned out delicious as well. I Love Baking with Dorie!

Zakia / Avenue Z Desserts said...

your tart looks delicious!

Mary said...

5 hands is right! I give you credit for even getting pictures while you made the cream! looks yummy!

Annemarie said...

It looks wonderful!

Mari said...

Well done, your tart looks delicious!

Mary Ann said...

It looks great! good job.

Heather B said...

Great job! Your tart looks delicious!

earthchick said...

Yum. Yum. YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

i lol when you described trying to take a picture while holding everything and trying to whisk - I couldn't even attempt a picture! great job on your tart!

Natalie said...

5 hands would definitely have helped a few times making this! Great job! (I usually don't mind sinfully fattening baking, but this every week thing is killing me... I'm throwing away food when I can't foist it off on unsuspecting coworkers. :)

Donna said...

Looks like you mastered the multi-tasking part of the recipe! Your tart looks heavenly!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great tart! I agree that I wish the filling was a bit thicker. Delicious looking!

Anonymous said...

Whipped cream seems to be the perfect compliment to this tart!
Looks good!

Anne said...

I felt the same way with the thermometer and everything! Whew! It looks like you did a great job. Love your birthday cakes too!

CB said...

I agree about Dorie's descriptions of things. It really helped me since I do not have a candy thermometer. Great job on your tart!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Bumblebutton said...

Love that you reminded me while I love baking...the process of stimulating the senses. Happy spring for sure!