It's been quite a birthday for K, and quite a lot of baking for me. First, there were 2 dozen chocolate cupcakes for preschool (recipe from Baking...). When the second dozen didn't separate from the baking cups, however, there was a third dozen. Gussied up with pink piped on frosting and sprinkles, they were all a girl could want.

For decades now, our family birthday cake has been the Baked Alaska recipe from Saucepan and the Single Girl. I'll write more about this cookbook in another post. At some point in my childhood, my mother tired of left behind cake frosting and began making this as a birthday cake. I've carried on the tradition with my family, although I think, in his heart of hearts, A would rather have Carrot Cake any day. I made Katie's Baked Alaska with Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice Cream, and, in place of the brownie base, the crumbled batch of cupcake, pressed into the springform pan. The result was better than the original - not as sweet, with a chocolate base that was neither gooey nor rock hard.

For her party with friends, we reprised the success of last year's cake. Turning again to Dorie Greenspan's Baking... for the Cocoa Buttermilk Cake. A single layer 9x13 was transformed into a wrapped gift with frosting, spree candies and Fruit by the Foot. Delicious and hard to resist for the kiddie set.
I've enjoyed my week of cake baking, but glad to return to a pattern of everyday life!
For decades now, our family birthday cake has been the Baked Alaska recipe from Saucepan and the Single Girl. I'll write more about this cookbook in another post. At some point in my childhood, my mother tired of left behind cake frosting and began making this as a birthday cake. I've carried on the tradition with my family, although I think, in his heart of hearts, A would rather have Carrot Cake any day. I made Katie's Baked Alaska with Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice Cream, and, in place of the brownie base, the crumbled batch of cupcake, pressed into the springform pan. The result was better than the original - not as sweet, with a chocolate base that was neither gooey nor rock hard.
For her party with friends, we reprised the success of last year's cake. Turning again to Dorie Greenspan's Baking... for the Cocoa Buttermilk Cake. A single layer 9x13 was transformed into a wrapped gift with frosting, spree candies and Fruit by the Foot. Delicious and hard to resist for the kiddie set.
I've enjoyed my week of cake baking, but glad to return to a pattern of everyday life!

1 comment:
A request has been made that the ribbon cake will be served at Jo's birthday. It looks scrumptious!
Post a Comment