Monday, December 1, 2008

R2R: Squash Soup


There it is -- winter in a bowl. When the weather turns cold (or just cool, really), I will eat pretty much any oven roasted veggie around.
My squash soup stayed pretty close to the original recipe from Top Chef, although I halved the recipe and still had well more than four servings. When it came time to season the soup, I added a substantial about of Hot Curry Powder (from Penzey's spices) and some salt, to cut the sweetness a bit.
Since I was trying to pass this soup off as dinner, and a special one at that, for my kids, I drew upon a recipe that I intended to make earlier in the year for a dinner party that fell through. I found a recipe for Roasted Squash Soup with Saffron Vanilla Ice Cream in The New Spanish Table. So I broke out a pint of vanilla Haagen-Daaz and set a small scoop on the top of each serving. I liked the soup better without the vanilla flavor. My kids, they preferred the soup without the squash flavor.
This month's challenge was hosted by Meg of Joy Through Cooking. Check the Recipes to Rival Blogroll for other tasty versions of this soup.

4 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

That Haagen daz thing must have been intersting...glad you did the challenge.

Heather B said...

Great job! The Haagen Daz sounds interesting!

Madam Chow said...

Your posts are hilarious (I like the one after this one, too - the paperback going through the washer). I'm with your kids as to preferring their soup without the squash. I love squash, but this soup just didn't do it for me.

Temperance said...

The ice cream is a great idea, I am with your kids there was juast a little to much squash, though the spices was a good idea.