I'm not sure exactly which army, football team, or church social the ladies of the Keld Community Ladies Club of Manitoba were cooking for.
I halved this recipe, and filled a casserole dish with a lovely little collection of bread dough wrapped in kale. By the time these babies were tucked in and surrounded by sauce, I was doubting exactly how much I could pass off on my family. I took the remainder of the bread dough, rolled it, shaped it into a loaf and baked it alongside my holopchi.
I'm surprised at how good these were. I trimmed the calories in the sauce by sauteeing a bit of flour with the onions and then adding skim milk. More sauce might have been better, but they were truly interesting, if not a traditional superbowl snack.
I'll keep these in mind next time I need to feed 5 dozen or so people.

4 comments:
Growing up in the cold northern climes I can say with a great deal of surity that this recipe wouldn't feed as many as you would think, Cold hungry farmers can really tuck it away. :)
Good job trimming the calories.
I totally agree about the amount this makes. I made an 1/8 of the recipe & filled a 13X9 casserole dish. They were very tasty though, a bit like garlic bread with a burst of dill. Great subs for slimming the sauce.
Haha...This recipe does produce a tonne. Glad you at least halved it. Good job!
They were surprisingly good, weren't they? That was a good call baking up some of the bread on it's own. How was the bread that was made into a loaf?
Post a Comment