Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TWD: Blueberry Crumb Cake

My mom has been making this cake for years, using blueberries in the summer, and cranberries around the holidays. A few years ago, I was feeling wise and I doubled the topping recipe, doubled the berries and baked the cake in a 9x13" pan. I no longer had a cake that was dry and overcooked around the edges in order to completely cook the center.

I took Dorie's recipe at it's word, despite my initial inclinations to bake it in the 9x13. I had a tough time making my topping crumble, and once again, after an hour, I had brown edges and a wet center. I covered the pan with some foil to prevent overbrowning, and kept going. I think for about another 15 minutes. While we really enjoyed the lemon zest in this recipe, I'm going to go back to my mom's version from here on out. They aren't too different, but I'll keep it in the family.
Mom's Blueberry Coffee Cake
Combine 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen) with 2 tbsp flour
In mixer, cream 1/2c. softened butter, add 2c. flour, 2tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 c. sugar
Add 3/4c milk, mix. Add one egg and beat well. Fold in blueberries and flour. Spread into greased, floured 9x13" pan. Top with crumble made by cutting 1/2c. softened butter into 1c sugar, 2/3c. flour, 1 tsp cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

6 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Your mom's cake sounds great.

I double the crumble.

Jayne said...

I should have doubled the crumb topping!

Unknown said...

Sorry it wasn't your favorite. Your mom's version sounds good!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

You never can beat your moms recipe! :)

Jules Someone said...

Hmmmm. I wondered about doubling the recipe. Glad to know your experience.

TeaLady said...

Looks good. My mom used to make one similar too. Wish I had her recipe. But this one's not bad. Yours looks yummy.