I think my favorite day of the year is the day of the first CSA delivery. We joined Needle-Lane Farms three seasons ago from a desire to eat a greater variety of local produce. I now feel like it's my birthday every Tuesday, as I get to open the box and figure out how to use the bounty. My kids try a greater variety of veggies, and J. likes to help cook them. Three years later, I've also added to my list of people who enjoy the beets which I can't get my family to enjoy.
It's somewhat of a guilty admission, but one of the best parts of our CSA is the pickup spot. Heading into a wine and cheese store on a weekly basis can be a dangerous proposition for our budget. So much so, that on weeks where I'm feeling poor, I actually leave my wallet in the car to avoid temptation. The folks at Morgan & York are super friendly and knowledgeable, that the impulse purchase, or four is just too easy.
What's cooking this week:
From Morgan and York --- fresh ricotta cheese, K.'s requisite slice of the caliente salami, a small bottle of delicious Olive Oil, and a bag of Ann Arbor Tortilla Factory Tortilla Chips. On a sleepless evening, A. broke into the chips and made a deep dent, I'll have to go back for more this afternoon...
From Needle-Lane---lots of herbs: basil (yum!), dill, garlic scapes, chives. Sugar snap peas, bok choi, onions, chard, spinach, lettuce, kholrabi, kale and collards.
The huge bag of sugar snap peas started to disappear out of hand. Many of the herbs and the spinach went into this Bon Appetit pasta recipe. I did wilt the spinach by draining the pasta over top of it, and I skipped the radicchio.

Still on deck, a type of kale quiche, a few more salads... With all of these veggies to eat, it is easy to eat at home rather than out.

No comments:
Post a Comment