Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TWD: A Pile of Profiteroles




Cream Puff Ring -- what fun! Prior to this week, I had never tried to make cream puff dough, asssuming that the stuff of Paris bakeries was a bit too tough for my skill level. Maybe I was right? The dough seemed easy enough, smooth and silky as it came together in the mixer. I piped it out onto the parchment circle no problem. With the remaining dough, I made a number of individual cream puff shells.
About halfway through the 425 degree baking time, everything started to look really brown. swapped the upper and lower trays and proceeded to lower the temp. In the end, my cream puff shells looked beautiful, all puffy and golden. My cream puff ring, well it looked like this:
A frisbee? A flying saucer? A fancy letter "o"? It didn't rise at all, in fact it may have been more flat after baking than before baking.
I parted ways with the ring and worked only with my puffs. I found them delightful when filled, although my 8-year old pronounced the filling as "kind of like chewing on a mint leaf." He ate them, so I'm not sure whether or not to call it a positive or a negative.


11 comments:

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

My ring looked like an anorexic doughnut. But it was fun!

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Jules Someone said...

LOL. I like that. Chewing on a mint leaf. Your puffs look gorgeous!

Krafty Christy said...

Mine looked exactly like that. I still made a go of it, though, and it turned out okay. Maybe we'll have better luck next time. Your puffs looked great!

Di said...

I'm sorry your ring didn't turn out. Your cream puff looks tasty, though. =)

Susie Homemaker said...

I think your ring looks fine...but your puffs look GREAT! yum!

ostwestwind said...

Sorry to hear that you weren't pleased how your ring turned out, but it looks tasty

There is always a next Tuesday with more success.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Lisa T. said...

Sorry to hear about your ring but your puffs look absolutely fabulous! Cream puffs just don't seem to be a favourite dessert of kids...

Casa Costello said...

Oh your ring looks so sad (mine didn't look much better!) puffs look great tho! Hx

Heather B said...

Great job! The puffs look delicious!

Dolores said...

I wasn't brave enough to try the ring after reading the stories of sunken pastries. And bless your 8-year-old's honest response to the result. :)

Jaime said...

chewing on a mint leaf? haha

the cream puff looks tasty, esp w/the chocolate glaze