Monday, July 14, 2008

Gut Check: 5 things I'd never do as a parent

Before kids (BK), it was easy to parent. When A. and I were dating, and not even specifically talking about kids, we did agree that we simply couldn't do "hockey or horses." For hockey and horses, we felt that the demands of the sports imposed too much on the lives of the rest of the family. I was a competitive swimmer growing up, and at this point in my life, with the equivalent of a hockey team or two living on my street, I'm not sure how hockey is much different from serious swimming in that regard. That said, I swore I would never do the following:

1) send my child to school with hair sticking straight up.
2) be a hockey family
3) own a horse
4) look at the framed art in my house and find that it is all crooked.
5) short order cook

8+ years later, #2 and #3 still hold. #1 lasted until kindergarten, and the arrival of child #2. We all eat the same dinner if we are eating together, which is most nights. Lunch-- that's another story. I'm not much for sandwiches myself, and often I find myself putting together a separate version of lunch for each member of the family -- and more often than not, it's all "hot" lunch.
Saturday night, I was sitting in the dining room and there was #4, of the 10 pictures hanging on the wall of the stairway, 9 were decidedly crooked. Oh well.
I'm holding firm on the hockey and horses.

2 comments:

Jules Someone said...

I am such a fabulous parent to everyone else's children. I can fix them all. And I was never going to use the tv as a babysitter. hahahahahahaha.

Pamela said...

Yeah...I just can't tame my almost 4yo's hair! It is always sticking up on the back of his head. Poor kid...I try! Funny post.