orbs of blue tart and sweet,
my favorite fruit -- can't be beat
tossed with sugar and flour
and rolled in a dough
served with vanilla ice cream
the best of summer, don't ya know!
Ok, so poetry isn't my strong suit. Amy of South in your mouth selected double crust blueberry pie as this week's TWD recipe.
I've been the pie lady in our circles, both friends and family, as I'm not intimidated by pie crust. Over time, I've covered every holiday classic and all the fruits in between, including the cherry lattice pie after the 27lb cherry sojurn of 2007. I followed Dorie's recipe as written, with solid, consistent results. A. liked Dorie's crust. I prefer the piquancy of my mother's pie crust recipe, which contains many of the tricks found in other crusts, but is unlike any other recipe I've seen.
Mom's Pie Crust
5 c. flour
1tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 ½ c. shortening
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp vinegar
Water
Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add shortening, and cut into mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Put egg in a measuring cup and add water to make ¾ cup. Stir in vinegar. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and toss lightly with a fork until moistened. Divide into two balls, flatten into disks, wrap in wax paper and chill at least 30 minutes.
Yield: 2 pies
my favorite fruit -- can't be beat
tossed with sugar and flour
and rolled in a dough
served with vanilla ice cream
the best of summer, don't ya know!
Ok, so poetry isn't my strong suit. Amy of South in your mouth selected double crust blueberry pie as this week's TWD recipe.
I've been the pie lady in our circles, both friends and family, as I'm not intimidated by pie crust. Over time, I've covered every holiday classic and all the fruits in between, including the cherry lattice pie after the 27lb cherry sojurn of 2007. I followed Dorie's recipe as written, with solid, consistent results. A. liked Dorie's crust. I prefer the piquancy of my mother's pie crust recipe, which contains many of the tricks found in other crusts, but is unlike any other recipe I've seen.
Mom's Pie Crust
5 c. flour
1tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 ½ c. shortening
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp vinegar
Water
Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add shortening, and cut into mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Put egg in a measuring cup and add water to make ¾ cup. Stir in vinegar. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and toss lightly with a fork until moistened. Divide into two balls, flatten into disks, wrap in wax paper and chill at least 30 minutes.
Yield: 2 pies

4 comments:
Your pie looks terrific. Thanks for the crust recipe, it is always great to have another tried and true. That Dorie crust was just not working for me--my favorite all butter crust is soooooo much easier to work with. I'll try yours too!
Thanks for sharing another pie crust recipe! Your pie looks perfect!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog
Beautiful pie...always good to try new things, but sometimes you have to stick to the tried and true. I have the identical Emile Henry pie plate but have always had uneven results baking pies in it for some reason...do you bake longer, lower temp, what do you do?
Hmmm...I'm curious about your mom's pie crust recipe! Will let you know if and when I get a chance to try it out!
Post a Comment