Tuesday, July 15, 2008

TWD: Chocolate Pudding

I'm a regular with pudding. When there isn't any ice cream in the house and I am craving something sweet, I often stir up a batch on the stove. Store bought mixes taste like chemicals, and the whole process is easier than most believe it to be.

I put off making Dorie's Chocolate Pudding -- it was simply another pudding, but with more dirty dishes. A few days ago, I picked up a 3.5 oz chocolate bar at Trader Joe's. When I referred to the recipe again on Monday night, I realized that I would be short an ounce and a half. While I was out this afternoon, I zipped into TJ's, picking up milk, almonds, brown rice, Organic Morning Light... at my next stop, picking up the CSA box I realized that I had forgotten my chocolate. Well never fear, Morgan & York carries chocolate -- Callebut 60.4% bittersweet. I paid a pretty price, but it sure is a pretty 1.18 lb block of bliss (and antioxidants, right?)
The Cuisinart technique really does make a smooth pudding, and without the standard 15 minutes of non-stop stirring. I served it in wineglasses. A took one bite, without knowing the chocolate saga and remarked, "this pudding ROCKS!"
This recipe will become the gold standard in my house. When I haven't the time for full fledged pudding making and dish washing, however, this recipe from Cooking Light beats the box hands-down.

Microwave Chocolate Pudding
6 tbsp sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 c. 2% milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Combine sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in a one quart glass measure. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Micorwave on high 3 minutes, stirring after 90 seconds.
Microwave on medium high (70%) 90 seconds or until thick. Add vanilla, stir well with a whisk, Serve warm or cover and chill. Yield 3 servings.

9 comments:

Jules Someone said...

MMmmmmm. That looks really good. I had to round out my 3.5 ounce bar with chips. Still tasty.

Rigby said...

Your pudding looks wonderful! I will have to try the microwave chocolate pudding recipe soon :)

Melissa said...

Looks wonderful!

Kelly said...

I did the same thing as Jules -- had to supplement my 4 oz. bar with chips. It was all semi-sweet insted of bittersweet, too, so I had to adjust the sugar.

The wine glasses make a really elegant presentation!! Your pudding is gorgeous.

~Kimberly said...

I love how you put them in stemware! Makes the dessert seem that much more elegant! Great job!

Bungalow Barbara said...

They look delicious. Good chocolate deserves to be served in elegant wine glasses!

Nickki said...

Yum. That looks so good. I think using quality chocolate makes all the difference to this pudding :)

Aaliyah said...

Your pudding looks great. It is better than box anytime. I look forward to your post next week. Great photos.

Dolores said...

I skipped the food processor in the hopes of less dirty dishes (and in fear of overflow) but will have to try Dorie's method at some point. Meanwhile I've bookmarked your lighter and less dish-consumptive chocolate pudding for future reference. Thanks for sharing!